Saturday, August 05, 2006


MEL GIBSON'S MEL-ODRAMA

Hello, everybody. Alright, every person in the world has had their take on what has been up with Mel Gibson over this week; and now, finally, it's my turn.

To refresh your memory: Last weekend after a night of partying, Gibson was arrested for DUI in Malibu. Moments later, he would be spewing out anti-Semitic remarks saying that the Jews are "responsible for all the wars in the world" and even called a female police officer "sugar tits"; the latter was when he was at the police station. His blood alcohol content was 0.12, higher than the 0.08 limit. Here was his first statement just moments after his arrest:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the L.A. County sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person.

I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said and I apologize to anyone who I have offended.

Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry.

I have battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Well, it didn't take long for the Jewish community to come out swinging at Gibson's remarks. The next day of course, it would be the talk of talk radio and the cable news discussion shows, not to mention the entertainment news and late night monologues as usual (except for Letterman; he was in reruns all this week). Mel issued a second statement a couple days later:

"There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge.

I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.

The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God’s child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.

I’m not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.

I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.

This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic license. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. Its about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad."

With that, apology accepted by the Anti-Defamation League. But to the public...is anyone buying them? Actor Rob Schneider, a half-Jew, isn't; he said he won't be working with the actor ever again, while one of Mel's "Maverick" co-stars, Jodie Foster, is standing up to him because he's "honest, loyal, and kind."

So, what do I think of all this? As we've learned many times from other celebrities who've broken the law (and have their mugshots displayed around the world, especially in "NewsBeat" on the old website), Mel can turn his life around. We've watched his career over the years from "Mad Max" to the "Lethal Weapon" series to "Passion of the Christ", and there's no way it'll be diminished anytime soon. Sure, his mugshot will join Hugh Grant's, Michael Jackson's, Tom DeLay's (why was he smiling in his?), and Glen Campbell's among others in the Celebrity Mugshot Hall of Fame; but when the dust is settled, Mel Gibson will be Mel Gibson once again...just like when Britney Spears used to be Britney Spears until she started seeing Kevin Federline and completely blew everything out of proportions, reputation and all!

Mel will definitely tough it all out, but it won't be an immediate process. If he does, let's hope he won't have another Mel-tdown ever again. So long.


No comments: