Saturday, June 17, 2006

GETTING READY FOR FAIRBANKS' AMAZING RACE

Hello, everybody. In 1995, Oprah Winfrey launched a month-long "Get Movin' With Oprah" spring training campaign on her show to get America in shape and lose weight for the summer with a regimen that included walking two to four miles and cutting fat out of their meals. Looking back, it was ridiculous because it seemed to be more like a women's thing. At least one little boy did give up candy during that campaign.

Now all this week, I have been getting in shape and cutting fat out of my meals, and for good reason: Twelve years after taking track once at West Valley High, I will finally be running in the Midnight Sun Run tomorrow night (Saturday) here in Fairbanks! In other words, I will be both running and walking, and my intention is to finish in between 45 minutes to an hour. The far more serious runners tend to finish around half an hour into the race, and I'm not one of those.

The Midnight Sun Run is a 10-kilometer, 6.2 mile race that starts at the UAF Patty Center and ends at Pioneer Park. This is sort of like Alaska's version of the Boston or New York City marathons, but it's more than that.

Bunches of participants get dolled up in costumes, making the race turn into a Halloween party or "Let's Make A Deal" (sans Monty Hall). Also, there are pre- and post-race festivities at the start and finish respectively, with a costume parade and Jazzercise warming up the runners before the race gets underway at 10:00pm. I will be warming up and stretching in the back away from Jazzercise by the way.

Speaking of costumes, one guy named Shawn usually goes all out every Sun Run with the most elaborate ones possible. One year he was dressed head to toe in a suit made of steamer baskets; the following year, a macrame suit; and another, dressed as a phoenix. Last year's race was all wet, but when he spotted me a few days later he told me his costume was a chicken-bird hybrid or something. We'll see what he has in store tomorrow night.

By the way...I'm bib number 898, and I'm expecting a lot of cheering on for me all throughout the race. So if you're reading this blog, make sure you have some "GO, JONATHAN!" signs ready to be waved because...well, I do have a circle of famous friends here including Charles Fedullo (of course), Curtis Thomas, Glenner and Jerry, and others; they have known and recognized me and for years.

The 2006 Midnight Sun Run is one of the biggest summer events of the year here, and this is one "Amazing Race" I would rather run. And trust me...rain or shine (though showers are expected tomorrow), I will not tire or fail. Of course I'll have a complete recap of all of this on Monday, so until then...
SEE YOU AT THE STARTING LINE!!!

No comments: