Tuesday, March 28, 2006

FROM LEGUIZAMO TO...LARRY THE CABLE GUY?!?!

Hello, everybody. Two weekends have already passed since John Leguizamo's visit to Fairbanks to promote "Ice Age: The Meltdown" (which opens this weekend); and if you thought we're done with star power, think again.

That's because after Leguizamo, the next major celebrity to hit the Golden Heart City in April will be one that I'm not a really big fan of: Larry The Cable Guy! Can't you believe we're going to segue from a talented actor whose credits include "The Pest", "House of Buggin'", and his Emmy-winning "Freak" to an untalented, redneck comedian (real name Dan Whitney) whose trademark catch phrase is "Git-R-Done"?

Anyway, his Fairbanks stop is one of many is his "Right to Bare Arms" tour; and trust me, I have had a couple fills with comedians myself. Bill Bellamy came by here in 1997 on the day after I turned 19; but I got kicked out of the after party at some club across town just moments after I went in because I was under 21. This happened while Bellamy was shooting pool; I don't know if I got a glimpse of him or not.

And then, there was summer 1999 when a few comedians from BET's "ComicView" did a show. I went with my mom and a couple of her friends, and boy, did I get burned or what?! I had on dark green jeans and was about to get a drink, and that's when...oh, boy.

One of the comics ribbed on me because of how tight my jeans were, and while I was walking to the mini-bar, he went "Squiggly, squiggly...", until I stopped and then he stopped. A few paces later..."Squiggly, squiggly, squiggly..." and so on. Then after I got my drink...that was when I decided to squiggly back at him. I ran back to my seat with the comedian was going..."squigglysquigglysquigglysquigglysquigglysquiggly!!!!" That was followed by wild cheering from the audience. Looking back, it was the most humiliating experience of my life because being black, I'm not used to this kind of humor before.

Now in a few weeks, we're going to have Larry the Cable Guy. After learning huge lessons from Bellamy and that other comedian, and knowing for the fact that I've already had my fill of star power with John Leguizamo, I'm going to pass this time.

By the way, a correction: Moving Images Video Production used KTUU's satellite truck "NewsStar 2" to feed their video of Leguizamo's visit to major media outlets; "Entertainment Tonight" took it of course as did ABC Alaska News.

But yes, Leguizamo was indeed the biggest celebrity we've ever had, and more flashbulbs were popping on him than President Reagan and Pope John Paul II when they briefly met here in 1984. Will Larry the Cable Guy equal or top him, as his new movie "Larry The Cable Guy: Health Inspector" is already in theaters right now (I know it's doing real bad in the box office)? Find out on April 12. I for sure know I won't. So long.

No comments: