Sunday, December 18, 2005

MERRY...HOLIDAYS??

Hello, everybody. Well, we're now one week away till Christmas 2005, but as you've heard in recent weeks there's been lots and lots of battles about whether or not we greet everyone a "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays."


Remember this from the old Allen Report site? Yes, I used it from 2000 to 2003 and I wished everyone a Happy Holidays. I've always celebrated Christmas from day one, though I did try my hand at Kwanzaa once in 2003; that was a disaster.

Anyway, with just seven days to go, malls and stores everywhere are already going to colossal overdrive to serve the last-minute shoppers -- especially as far as trying to get that elusive XBox 360 is concerned. If you thought the latest iPod with video (which I'm hoping to get this year) is the must-have item this Christmas, that's nothing compared to Microsoft's latest non-Windows creation.

The price may be $400, but in classified ad among classified ad in the papers, many are going for higher than that...maybe $500, $800, even $1,200 higher!! That reminds me of all those Tickle Me Elmo ads from 1996, when people had to pay hundreds of dollars for that and I would remember counting the ads they appeared in the paper every day; this was when newspapers were starting to be online.

On the iPod side of things...well, there haven't been any ads for that because of the steep prices for the XBox 360, simply because some of you have already paid your $300 for them and also, new shipments to the stores may be coming after Christmas!

If I do happen to get the iPod this year, it will go along with the other big-ticket gifts from previous Christmases like the computers (1986, '89, and '96 with the current one), Super Mario Bros. 3 (1990), the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1991), and last year's triple threat with the Ronco Showtime rotisserie/accessory kit, "The Simpsons" Season 4 DVDs, and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Season 7 DVD. We'll see what happens next Sunday, especially if it's the last minute.

Right now, I'm hard at work on my series of pre-prepared blogs looking back at 2005 which you'll be seeing here after Christmas. And as you longtimers know from the old website, it's my own take on the year's big stories (especially Hurricane Katrina) as well as my "Top 20 Things that were Hot" list and the final results of the Sexiest of 2005 polls. That's my "2005 Year in Review", all next week.

See you then, and, uh...Merry Holidays!

No comments: